For efficient distribution of the widest variety of items, the distribution itself must also be logistically optimised and automated. This requires clever packaging concepts and systems, which provide packaging at the required time.
Online trade is booming. More and more people are conveniently ordering items over the internet, with delivery of their items to their homes. The number of packages to be packed and transported to recipients by logistics service providers daily is increasing in the double-digit percentage range.
Customer purchasing behaviour and expectations are changing because of the increasing number of online offerings. Increasingly crucial to buying decisions are, in addition to price, factors such as availability and delivery time. Customers order an item when they need it.
Shorter delivery times, right up to same day delivery, and the reduction in delivery costs and minimum order quantities, are also reducing the average number of items per order. The proportion of single-item orders is therefore increasing, and requires a tailored process in terms of picking and shipment. With the reduction of the articles per package, more and more space remains unused in the commonly used standard shipping cartons.
This excess volume leads to problems in the entire value-added chain from storage, sorting, transport and distribution through to delivery point at recipient. This leads to increased costs because of storage space requirements, and to more transports via road and rail.
In the case of accessories, spare parts, and consumables in industry, the household, or home electronics, overnight deliveries are becoming more and more frequent. Required items need to be ready for dispatch, ex-stock, in a very short period of time.
Optimise your logistics
This is where the PackOnTime® concept can help you optimise your production or shipping processes and increase productivity; all while ensuring environmentally friendly usage of resources:
Smart Pack – Made On Time
- package created on demand; created when required
- package produced in individually required dimensions
- fits seamlessly into different processes, e. g., pick to pack, as well as batch production
- uses primary packaging directly as shipping package; dispensing with the need for additional transport packaging
- simplifies logistics and warehousing
Facts at a glance
- Processing capacity: 500 packages/h
- Simple operation by 1 operator
- Product dimensions:
min. 60 x 60 x 8 mm
max. 350 x 250 x 100 mm
- Sheets: 1.5 mm corrugated cardboard with E-wave
min. 600 x 300 mm
max. 1200 x 600 mm
- Stack capacity: 500 pieces
- Closure: hot glue, approx. 1 g/package
- Dimensions: approx. 6.6 x 7 x 2 m (depending on equipment)
- No waste/offcuts
- Stack filling with no auxiliary devices
- Designed for multi-shift operation
You can find out more about the Kern PackOnTime system here